Faculty Support Office: SBS A306
Phone: (310) 243-3551
Advising Office: SBS A319
Phone: (310) 243-3561
Fax: (310) 516-3664
Marketing moves products, services, ideas. Whether it is developing advertisements, promotions or sales programs - for cars, computers, toys, trucks, entertainment, politics, sports or health care - marketing is the common denominator.
If you're excited about jetting to foreign lands for MTV commercial shoots, developing national strategies for new products, writing award-winning advertisements for Rolling Stone or Business Week magazines, negotiating for product placements in multi-million dollar films, or being the lead executive on public relations accounts for rock stars, NFL athletes, or giant software corporations, a marketing concentration from the School of Business and Public Administration at CSUDH may be the professional career track for you.
You may select a major or minor in marketing at CSUDH. Or, we can package a special major for you, integrating cross-discipline courses in marketing, communications, public relations, computer graphics, the social sciences, or other related areas.
The Business Administration degree at CSUDH requires completion of core courses common to all business programs (e.g. accounting, finance, management, information systems). The marketing concentration offers specialized courses in marketing research, consumer behavior, international marketing, advertising and promotion, and sales management. Elective courses are periodically available in areas such as sports marketing, marketing law, internet marketing, and retail management. Electives in areas outside the business program encourage your intellectual and professional development.
The marketing program at CSUDH provides a strong support structure to facilitate your education and training:
- Marketing faculty with Ph.D.s and years of private sector experiences;
- Membership in the Marketing Association;
- Student chapter affiliated with the American Marketing Association;
- Part-time job opportunities with local area marketing and public relations companies;
- Participation in summer internship programs sponsored by the Los Angeles Advertising Club, which provides up to 90 internships with advertising agencies, the advertising or marketing departments of client firms, or in positions with advertising media or production firms;
- Classroom studies using case studies, computer simulations and development of advertising and promotion proposals for national products and corporations;
- Opportunities for cross-discipline collaborative activities involving marketing, communications, advertising, graphic design, computer art, and public relations.
Almost a third of all Americans are employed in marketing-related positions. Additionally, the marketing program at CSUDH is located in one of the top three markets in the United States. Access is excellent for full and part-time positions with advertising agencies, entertainment industries, technological services, hospitality firms, sales organizations, and many other small and large businesses. With California's Pacific rim location, the marketing program at CSUDH is uniquely position for students interested in international marketing as well.
Specific career opportunities exist in marketing research, retailing, sales management, product development, brand management, public relations, advertising agency account management, advertising copywriting for print and electronic media, promotions management, media buying, interactive media, direct marketing on the information superhighway, and sports marketing, among others.
- American Association of Advertising Agencies
- American Federation of Advertising
- American Marketing Association-National Chapter
- Worldwide Marketing Association